Aidan Chambers’ Critical Blueprint
Although intended for Y/A materials, these are excellent questions to ask yourself as you read all materials.
A summary of Aidan Chamber’s Critical Blueprint.
- What happened to me as I read?
- Which features of this book caused my responses?
- What does this book ask of readers if they are to enjoy what it offers?
- Why is this book worth my own and teenager’s attention?
- Which would be the most appropriate way of introducing this book to the young people I have in mind?
- What do I know of the background of this book – about its author, how it came to be written, or the place where it is set, and so on – that might interest the Y/A reader and stimulate their desire to read?
- Are there books by the same author, or by other authors, which relate to this one and which the Y/A readers have already read or perhaps ought to read before reading this one? And are there books that follow on from this one?